We all need at least two layers of support in our lives (whether we’re in utero, in our ‘prime’, or at the end of life). Isolation breeds fear and aggression. So let’s give each other as much love, support and compassion as possible everyday and allow ourselves to practice receiving the same. Here are some resources for your family & your community.
Every act of kindness makes a difference.
Check this out! http://dalailamacenter.org/programs/heart-mind-index
FIVE DOMAINS OF HEART-MIND WELL-BEING
- Children who develop social and emotional skills have better attitudes about themselves and others, and better social interactions.
- Children with strong social and emotional skills are less aggressive, can handle difficult emotions, and they have lower levels of emotional distress.
- Students who receive Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) instruction improve an average 11 percentile points on standardized achievement tests compared to students who do not receive such instruction.
- We can successfully create conditions in schools, communities and families that build the capacity of children to recognize their emotions, to understand and empathize with others, and to make constructive choices.
- We can foster positive human qualities such as compassion, empathy and confidence, and we can help children manage difficult emotions such as fear, hatred, anger, and anxiety.
The Roots of Empathy program supports the awakening of empathy in elementary school children.
Tell your school board about this! Let’s see if we can get it into EVERY school!